11 Trending Words of 2014
city, seat (1837) of Simcoe county, southeastern Ontario, Canada. It lies along Kempenfelt Bay, an arm of Lake Simcoe, 55 miles (90 km) north-northwest of Toronto. In 1812 a storehouse was probably built on the site, which during the War of 1812 was the landing and starting point of the Nine-Mile-Portage (a military supply route to the upper Great Lakes). A permanent settlement was established in 1828, named for Commodore Robert Barrie, commander of a naval squadron at Kingston, Ontario. The early economy was based on agriculture and lumbering. Allandale village to the south was annexed in 1897.