city, seat (1852) of Brant county, southeastern Ontario, Canada, on the Grand River. It originated as Brant's Ford, named for Joseph Brant, the famous Mohawk chief who was granted the site in 1784 for the settlement of the Six Nations (see Iroquois Confederacy) after the American Revolution. White settlement dates from 1805. Brantford is now an agricultural and industrial centre. Manufactures include textiles and agricultural, auto, and refrigeration equipment.
Learn more about Brantford with a free trial on Britannica.com.