city, seat (1908) of Kootenai county, northwestern Idaho, U.S. It lies near the Washington border at the northern end of Coeur d'Alene Lake. Founded in 1879 as a trading post serving Fort Coeur d'Alene (later Fort Sherman), it developed after the discovery of lead and silver (1883) and the arrival of the railroad (1886). The local mines were the scene of bitter industrial strife between mine owners and unionized miners in the 1890s and into the 20th century; leaders of the union, including secretary-treasurer William D. ("Big Bill") Haywood, were prosecuted for murder in 1907 but were acquitted following a spirited argument by defense attorney Clarence Darrow. The city is now headquarters for the Idaho Panhandle National Forest, which includes Kaniksu (in Montana), Coeur d'Alene, and St. Joe national forests. Lumbering is the economic mainstay, supplemented by tourism. North Idaho (junior) College (1933) is near the fort's chapel and a replica of its gate. Inc. village, 1887; city, 1906. Pop. (2000) 34,514; (2006 est.) 41,328.
Learn more about Coeur d'Alene with a free trial on Britannica.com.