city, Cook county, northeastern Illinois, U.S. Lying on the Des Plaines River, it is a suburb of Chicago, 17 miles (27 km) northwest of downtown. The area was originally inhabited by Potawatomi, Ottawa, and Ojibwa peoples. Settled in 1835 by Socrates Rand of Massachusetts, for whom the community was named in 1857, it was renamed for the river (French: "Of the Plains") in 1869. German immigrants began arriving in the 1840s and have left their imprint on the city. It was laid out in the 1850s, when the railroad connected the city with Chicago. Des Plaines annexed the village of Riverview in 1925 and Orchard Place in 1956
Learn more about Des Plaines with a free trial on Britannica.com.