town, seaport, and archiepiscopal see, Latina province, Lazio region, south-central Italy, on the Gulf of Gaeta, northwest of Naples. Gaeta first came under the influence of the Romans in the 4th century BC; a road was built c. 184 BC connecting the town with the port, and it became a favoured Roman resort. After the fall of the Roman Empire in the 5th century AD, Gaeta remained loyal to the Byzantine Empire and preserved its independence throughout Gothic, Lombard, and Saracen wars and invasions. A maritime republic in the 8th century and autonomous duchy after 915, it capitulated in 1140 to the Normans, under whom it achieved great importance. In the 15th century it was the centre of struggles for succession to the throne of Naples. Its capitulation to the Kingdom of Italy in 1861 marked the end of the Bourbon Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.
Learn more about Gaeta with a free trial on Britannica.com.