city, west-central Angola. It lies south of the Cuanza River on the Bie Plateau at an elevation of 5,581 feet (1,701 metres) and has a temperate climate. The city was founded in 1912 by Portuguese settlers and workers on the Benguela Railway, which was then under construction. It was first called Huambo but was renamed Nova Lisboa in 1928. Following Angola's independence in 1975, the city's original name was restored. The city became the headquarters of the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA), a guerrilla movement
Learn more about Huambo with a free trial on Britannica.com.