|a river in Pakistan and Kashmir, rising in W central Kashmir and flowing northwest through the Vale of Kashmir, then southwest into NW Punjab to join the Chenab River: important for irrigation, having the Mangla Dam (Pakistan), completed in 1967. Length: about 720 km (450 miles)|
town, Punjab province, northeastern Pakistan. The town lies just west of the Jhelum River (there bridged by both road and rail) and is connected by rail and the Grand Trunk Road with Peshawar and Lahore. The old town, across the river, may have been Bucephala, founded by Alexander the Great in the 4th century BC. Although once a salt-trade centre, Jhelum is now a major timber market. The town's industries include textile mills, sawmills, newsprint plants, glassworks, and cigarette factories. It was constituted a municipality in 1867. The town has several government colleges affiliated with the University of the Punjab. The ruined temples of Katas, southwest of Jhelum, are possibly of Buddhist origin (8th-9th century AD). Pop. (1998 prelim.) 145,847.
Learn more about Jhelum with a free trial on Britannica.com.