Is it farther or further?
village, Randolph county, southwestern Illinois, U.S. It is situated on Kaskaskia Island in the Mississippi River, just west of Chester. Kaskaskia Island is the only portion of Illinois located west of the Mississippi River. Illinois and Iroquois Indians were early inhabitants of the area; the village is named for one of the tribes of the Illinois confederation. The original settlement (now underwater) was founded in 1703 as a Jesuit mission and developed as a French trading post and a farming community. Initially incorporated as a town by the French in 1725, it was granted special rights by King Louis XV of France. French-built Fort Kaskaskia (1733) was destroyed in 1766 by villagers when the British occupied the region. In 1778 George Rogers Clark captured it for the United States. Kaskaskia became the capital of the Illinois Territory in 1809; after Illinois achieved statehood, Kaskaskia briefly served as the state capital (1818-20) until the administrative centre was transferred to Vandalia. The original village (incorporated 1818) was, beginning in 1844, gradually inundated as the Mississippi River changed its course, creating the island. The island was completely cut off from the mainland with the great flood of 1881, and by the early 20th century the remainder of the original settlement had disappeared. The name was transferred to the present village, a little to the south. The village was again devastated by flooding in 1973 and 1993 but was rebuilt each time.