Get the details behind our redesign
city, seat of Blue Earth county, south-central Minnesota, U.S. It lies on the Minnesota River, opposite North Mankato, near the mouth of the Blue Earth River, in a farming and lake area, about 75 miles (120 km) southwest of Minneapolis. Part of the city extends across the Minnesota into Nicollet county. Mankato was founded in 1852 by Parsons Johnson and Henry Jackson. It was originally known as Mahkato, a name derived from a Sioux term for the blue clay along the riverbanks (Mankato was the result of an early spelling error, though the misspelling stuck). Flour milling and limestone quarrying were important to the city's early growth. A Sioux uprising in 1862 culminated in a mass hanging at Mankato on December 26, when 38 Sioux were executed for having massacred white settlers (President Abraham Lincoln reduced the number from more than 300 sentenced to death); the execution spot is marked by a monument. The city lies in a rich agricultural region (primarily hogs, corn [maize], and soybeans) and has many farming-related industries, including soybean processing, feed preparation, and farm-equipment manufacturing. Health care, limestone quarrying, and a sizable printing industry (centred in North Mankato) contribute to the economy; manufactures include boat motors, electrical equipment, automotive bodies and parts, plastics, and generators. It is also a regional retail and trade centre. The city is the seat of Minnesota State University, Mankato (1868), and Bethany Lutheran College (1927), and Gustavus Adolphus College (1862) is in nearby St. Peter. Cultural attractions include a symphony orchestra, ballet, and several theatre organizations. Minneopa State Park is to the west. Inc. 1868. Pop. (1990) 31,477; (2000) 32,427.