Port Huron

Encyclopedia Britannica
Encyclopedia

port huron

city, seat (1871) of St. Clair county, eastern Michigan, U.S. Situated at the lower end of Lake Huron, it lies on the St. Clair River, opposite Sarnia, Ont., Can. In 1814 Fort Gratiot was built on the site of the earlier French Fort St. Joseph (1686), and a village was established. Port Huron was created (1837) by the amalgamation of five villages: Peru, Desmond, Gratiot, Fort Gratiot, and Huron. Fort Gratiot Lighthouse (1829), the oldest on the Great Lakes, with its 86-foot [26-metre] tower marks the St. Clair Straits. The city is connected to Sarnia via ferry service, the Blue Water International Bridge, and a railroad tunnel. Originally a lumber and shipbuilding centre, the city is now a railway and St. Lawrence Seaway terminal, with one of the few natural deepwater ports on the Great Lakes. Diversified industries include the production of plastics, chemicals, machinery, tools, and auto parts

Learn more about Port Huron with a free trial on Britannica.com.

Encyclopedia Britannica, 2008. Encyclopedia Britannica Online.
Cite This Source
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature