city, seat (1833) of Rock Island county, northwestern Illinois, U.S. It lies on the Mississippi River (bridged to Iowa) at the mouth of the Rock River and opposite the island for which it was named. With Moline and East Moline, Illinois, and Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa, Rock Island forms the Quad Cities complex. Sauk and Fox Indians inhabited the area at the time of the first American settlement. Fort Armstrong was built on the island in 1816 and was the headquarters of operations in the Black Hawk War (1832), in which Chief Black Hawk and his people were forced out of Illinois. Laid out in 1835 as Stephenson, the community was renamed Rock Island and incorporated as a town in 1841. In 1854 it was reached by the Rock Island Railroad, and it was there the Mississippi was first bridged (1856). The island was an American Civil War ordnance depot and served as a prisoner-of-war camp, where many Confederates died; Union and Confederate cemeteries are on the island. It is now occupied by the Rock Island Arsenal, which includes a military museum, the Colonel Davenport House (1833), and a replica of a Fort Armstrong blockhouse. Black Hawk State Historic Site, at the city's southern edge, was once the site of large Sauk and Fox villages and of the Sauk capital; a museum is devoted to tribal life.
Learn more about Rock Island with a free trial on Britannica.com.