city, Crittenden county, eastern Arkansas, U.S. It lies along the west bank of the Mississippi River opposite Memphis, Tennessee (with which it is linked by bridges). It was founded in 1910 as a logging camp, near the site of Fort Esperanza (built by the Spanish in 1797), and was known as Bragg's Mill until 1927, when it was incorporated as a city and renamed West Memphis. The city subsequently absorbed the neighbouring town of Hulbert.
Learn more about West Memphis with a free trial on Britannica.com.
|a scrap or morsel of food left at a meal.|
|a children's mummer's parade, as on the Fourth of July, with prizes for the best costumes.|