city in New Mexico, U.S., founded 1706 and named for Sp. administrator and viceroy of Mexico Francisco Fernández de la Cueva, Duque de Alburquerque (1617-1676); name alt. by assoc. with Port. soldier Alfonso de Albuquerque (1453-1515), both named from Alburquerque, a town in Spain close to the Portuguese border whose name means "white oak," ult. from L. albus "white" and quercus "oak."