city, seat of Sonderjylland amtskommune (county commune), southeastern Jutland, Denmark, at the head of Abenra Fjord. First mentioned in the 12th century when attacked by the Wends, it was granted a charter (1335) and grew from a fishing village into a thriving port in the 17th and 18th centuries. Medieval landmarks include the St. Nicholas Church (a 13th-century church; restored 1949-56) and Brondlund Slot (a fortress, begun 1411, rebuilt 1807). The city was German from 1864 until a plebiscite in 1920 and was known as Apenrade. Abenra is a marketing centre with a large import trade and the largest port in southeastern Jutland. Local industries include machinery production, food processing, pipe-organ building, and fishing. Pop. (2000 est.) city, 16,126; mun., 22,020.
Learn more about Aabenraa with a free trial on Britannica.com.