Get our exclusive Word of the Day images!
city, seat of Sonderjylland amtskommune (county commune), southeastern Jutland, Denmark, at the head of Abenra Fjord. First mentioned in the 12th century when attacked by the Wends, it was granted a charter (1335) and grew from a fishing village into a thriving port in the 17th and 18th centuries. Medieval landmarks include the St. Nicholas Church (a 13th-century church; restored 1949-56) and Brondlund Slot (a fortress, begun 1411, rebuilt 1807). The city was German from 1864 until a plebiscite in 1920 and was known as Apenrade. Abenra is a marketing centre with a large import trade and the largest port in southeastern Jutland. Local industries include machinery production, food processing, pipe-organ building, and fishing. Pop. (2000 est.) city, 16,126; mun., 22,020.