city, capital of Alba judet (county), west-central Romania. It lies along the Mures River, 170 miles (270 km) northwest of Bucharest. One of the oldest settlements in Romania, the site was selected by the Romans for a military camp. The remains of Apulum, an important city in Roman Dacia mentioned by Ptolemy in the 2nd century BC, are 6 miles (10 km) from Alba Iulia, and the Regional Museum has a rich collection of Roman antiquities. From the 9th to the 11th century the town bore the Slavic name Balgrad. The Roman name was first documented in 1097, and the use of Alba Iulia in Latin documents ensured the survival of the name.
Learn more about Alba Iulia with a free trial on Britannica.com.