9 Q Without U Words for Words With Friends
city, Washtenaw county, southeastern Michigan, U.S. It lies along the Huron River just east of Ann Arbor. Originally called Woodruff's Grove, it grew up around a French trading post (1809-19) and was renamed in 1825 for Demetrios Ypsilantis, a Greek patriot whose monument stands in the city. The settlement developed as an outfitting point for travelers on the Detroit-Chicago road (opened 1835); in 1838 Ypsilanti became the first major depot west of Detroit on the Michigan Central Railroad to St. Joseph. Long a farm trading centre, Ypsilanti became industrially important with a wide range of manufactures (including auto parts, books, and plastics). Immediately east are the Willow Run Airport, which is a cargo hub serving the Detroit metropolitan area, and the huge Willow Run auto plants, which originated in 1942 as a manufacturing complex for B-24 bombers. Ypsilanti is the site of Eastern Michigan University (1849). Ford Lake (impounded on the Huron River just south of the city by Ford Dam) is a popular recreation site. Inc. village, 1832; city, 1858. Pop. (2000) 22,362; (2005 est.) 21,832.