historic village site, Arkansas county, southeastern Arkansas, U.S., on the Arkansas River, near its confluence with the Mississippi River. A fort, the first permanent European settlement in the lower Mississippi valley, was built there in 1686 by Henri de Tonty, a lieutenant of French explorer Rene-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle. It became the residence of the French and Spanish governors and was an important trading post. The Mississippi Bubble, a French financial scheme and development plan that became mired in political intrigue, attracted settlers to the area (1717), but most of them left after the speculative bubble "burst" in 1720.
Learn more about Arkansas Post with a free trial on Britannica.com.