city, Eddy county, southeastern New Mexico, U.S., near the Pecos River. It originated in 1890 as a stop (called Miller) on the old stagecoach route between Roswell and Carlsbad. As a livestock-shipping point on the Pecos Valley Southern Railway (completed 1894), it was known as Stegman. John Richey, a local developer, suggested its present name in 1905 following the discovery of an underground artesian water basin
Learn more about Artesia with a free trial on Britannica.com.