town, Morbihan departement, Bretagne region, northwestern France, on the Auray Estuary. It is situated 7.5 miles (12 km) from the Atlantic, southwest of Rennes. Its chateau (demolished 1558) was a residence of the dukes of Brittany. Outside its walls in 1364 the War of the Breton Succession was ended by the victory of Jean de Montfort and his English allies over Montfort's cousin, Charles de Blois. The battle involved two French military folk-heroes, Bertrand du Guesclin and Olivier de Clisson. The church erected on the battleground by Montfort is now a school for the deaf. In 1795 on the nearby Champ des Martyrs, 952 Chouans, local antirevolutionary guerrillas, were killed.
Learn more about Auray with a free trial on Britannica.com.