How Well Do You Know English Slang?
town and lagoon port in Lagos state, southwestern Nigeria. It lies on the north bank of Porto Novo Creek, an inland waterway that connects the national capitals of Nigeria (Lagos) and Benin (Porto-Novo), and on a road that leads to Lagos, Ilaro, and Porto-Novo. Founded in the late 1720s by Popo refugees from the wars with the Fon people of Dahomey, Badagry was, for the next century, a notorious exporter of slaves to the Americas. A British trading post was established there in the 1820s, and Badagry developed as a palm-oil port for Egbaland to the north and as an importer of European cloth. In the 1830s it attracted freed slaves from Freetown (Sierra Leone), and, in 1842, it became the site of the first European mission (Methodist) in Nigeria. Although the trade route to Abeokuta (56 miles [90 km] north-northeast) was controlled by unfriendly Dahomeyans (whose frequent raids had almost destroyed the town in the late 18th century), Badagry remained a leading port and mission centre-a Yoruba mission (Anglican) was also established in the early 1840s-until the attack in 1851 by the army of Lagos when the city was destroyed by fire. That attack, combined with the constant threat of the Fon and the poor sandy soils in the vicinity, led to a general exodus of the town's traders, missionaries, and farmers.