city, seat (1823) of Decatur county, far southwestern Georgia, U.S. It lies along the Flint River, near the Florida border, about 40 miles (65 km) northwest of Tallahassee, Florida. The city was founded in 1823 near Fort Hughes, an earthwork defended by the troops of Andrew Jackson during the First Seminole War (1817-18). The site was named for William Bainbridge, commander of the frigate Constitution, and developed as a lumbering town and river port. Downriver, the Jim Woodruff Lock and Dam (1957) impounds Lake Seminole, generates hydroelectricity, and controls navigation channels from the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. This navigational system made Bainbridge Georgia's first inland barge port, handling bulk cargoes such as industrial chemicals and minerals.
Learn more about Bainbridge with a free trial on Britannica.com.