11 Trending Words of 2014
city, Bavaria Land (state), south-central Germany. It lies along the canalized Regnitz River, 2 miles (3 km) above the latter's confluence with the Main River, north of Nurnberg. First mentioned in 902 as the seat of the ancestral castle of the Babenberg family, Bamberg became the seat of a bishopric founded there in 1007 by the Holy Roman emperor Henry II; the bishops became princes of the empire in the mid-13th century. In 1459 the first book printed in the German language was published in Bamberg. The city passed to Bavaria in 1802 after the secularization of the see. An archbishopric was established in 1817. Bamberg's imperial cathedral (1004-1237) contains many notable statues, the tombs of Henry II, his wife, Cunegund, and Pope Clement II, and a wooden altar carved by Veit Stoss. There are two bishops' palaces: the Alte Residenz, or old palace (1571-76), which houses a local history museum, and the Neue Residenz (1695-1704), containing several notable art collections. Other historic buildings include the former Benedictine abbey and St. Michael's Church (consecrated 1015), the 12th-century St. Jacob's Church, St. Martin's (1685-93), the old town hall (1453; rebuilt 1744-56), the chapel of the ancient fortress, Altenburg, and several Baroque patricians' houses. In 1993 the town of Bamberg was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site for its cultural influence, particularly as the centre of the Enlightenment in southern Germany during the 18th century.