Get the details behind our redesign
town, central part of North-West Frontier Province, Pakistan, just south of the Kurram River. The nearby Akra mounds have revealed finds dating to about 300 BC. In ancient and medieval times, the Kurram-Bannu route into the Indian subcontinent was used by invaders and colonizers from the northwest. Founded in 1848 by Lieutenant (later Sir) Herbert Edwardes as a military base, the town was named Dalipnagar (1848) and then Edwardesabad (1869). In 1903 its name was changed to Bannu.