Stories We Like: Novels For Language Lovers
city, San Bernardino county, south-central California, U.S. Located in the Mojave Desert, the city lies at a junction of pioneer trails. It was founded in 1880 during a silver-mining rush and was first called Fishpond and then Waterman Junction. It was renamed in 1886 to honour William Barstow Strong, then president of the Santa Fe Railway. Mining declined, but Barstow endured as a railroad town (diesel repair shops) and tourist spot. Its growth was stimulated in the 1940s by the establishment nearby of a large U.S. Marine Corps supply depot and the Fort Irwin armour and desert training centre. In 1958 the Goldstone Tracking Station (now called the Gladstone Deep Space Communications Complex), used to communicate with spacecraft and satellites, was established in the locality. Barstow Community College was founded in 1960.