Stories We Like: Novels For Language Lovers
town, southeastern West Bengal state, northeastern India, just east of the Hooghly River, part of the Calcutta urban agglomeration. Originally a Portuguese settlement, it became the seat of a Dutch trading station and an important river anchorage for Dutch shipping; in 1795 it was ceded to the British. Constituted as the municipality of North Suburban in 1869, the town was renamed Baranagar in 1889. In 1899 it was divided, the northern half becoming Kamarhati municipality. Connected by road and rail with Calcutta, it is a major industrial centre engaged in jute and cotton milling, cotton ginning and baling, and the manufacture of chemicals, castor oil, matches, and agricultural and industrial machinery. Pop. (1991 prelim.) 223,770.