It’s about time. We are now on Instagram!
city, west-central Israel, on the Plain of Sharon and the Mediterranean coast just south of Tel Aviv-Yafo. Founded in 1926 as a suburban development called Bayit ve-Gan (Hebrew: "House and Garden"), it was abandoned during the Arab riots of 1929. Resettled, it developed as a seaside resort and residential suburb of Tel Aviv. In 1936 the name was changed to Bat Yam (meaning "daughter of the sea"), and the town received municipal status. After 1950 its population grew rapidly, as housing quarters were built for new Jewish immigrants. Bat Yam is a principal centre of Israel's printing and publishing industry; the beverage industry is also important. Inc. city, 1958. Pop. (2006 est.) 129,700.