Why turkey has the same name as Turkey
town, Cote-d'Or departement, Bourgogne region, east-central France, on the Bouzaise River, southwest of Dijon. Settled since prehistoric times, it prospered under the Romans as a centre for cattle and viticulture and is still the wine capital of Burgundy. In the 3rd and 4th centuries it was fortified against Germanic invasions and was the seat of a count under Charlemagne. The first Burgundian Parliament (Jours Generaux) met at Beaune in 1227, and the dukes of Burgundy resided there. France took the town from the Burgundians in 1478. During the religious wars Beaune expelled the Catholic League's partisans and welcomed Henry IV. The town's prosperity declined with the flight of the Huguenot weavers and leather workers at the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685, but its fortunes revived with the wine trade of the 18th century. Beaune has given its name to part of the celebrated wine country of Burgundy, the limestone hills (cotes) of the Cotes de Beaune.