city, Palm Beach county, south-central Florida, U.S., about 40 miles (65 km) west of West Palm Beach, near the southeastern shores of Lake Okeechobee. The area was originally inhabited by Calusa and later by Seminole Indians. A settlement was built there in 1925 and was originally known as Hillsboro. It was renamed Belle Glade based on an informal poll, where it was suggested that the city was "the belle of the Glades," in reference to the nearby Everglades. A hurricane (1928) caused widespread damage, but the community was rebuilt and incorporated in the same year. It developed as an agricultural centre, noted for winter vegetables grown on the surrounding rich Everglades muckland. Belle Glade became a city by referendum in 1945.
Learn more about Belle Glade with a free trial on Britannica.com.
|an arrangement of five objects, as trees, in a square or rectangle, one at each corner and one in the middle.|
|a calculus or concretion found in the stomach or intestines of certain animals, esp. ruminants, formerly reputed to be an effective remedy for poison.|