town, southwestern Bulgaria, in the Struma River valley. An ancient Thracian settlement, Scaptopara, existed around its warm mineral springs, which still function as a spa. During the Turkish occupation (1396-1878), the town was called Dzhumaya (Dzumaja), later Gorna Dzhumaya; it was renamed in 1950 for Dimitur Blagoev, founder of the Bulgarian Communist Party.
Learn more about Blagoevgrad with a free trial on Britannica.com.
|a fool or simpleton; ninny.|
|the offspring of a zebra and a donkey.|
Dictionary.com presents 366 FAQs, incorporating some of the frequently asked questions from the past with newer queries.