borough, Somerset county, north-central New Jersey, U.S., on the Raritan River, 31 miles (50 km) southwest of New York City. The area was settled in 1681 soon after it was deeded by the Delaware Indians to Philip Carteret (colonial governor) and other men. The Staats Homestead in South Bound Brook was the headquarters of Baron Frederick William von Steuben, inspector general during the American Revolution. Colonel Philip Van Horne's house, known as Convivial Hall, was occupied for a time by Henry ("Light-Horse Harry") Lee, cavalry commander during the war. General George Washington's army twice camped on the hills behind the village, known as the heights of Middlebrook, where Washington allegedly unfurled the Stars and Stripes (sewn by Betsy Ross) as the national flag in 1777; the site is now a state historical monument. Bound Brook, though primarily residential, has some industries, including firms that manufacture chemicals, drugs, textiles, and clothing. Inc. 1891. Pop. (1990) 9,487; (2000) 10,155.
Learn more about Bound Brook with a free trial on Britannica.com.