city, Bremen Land (state), northern Germany. It lies on the east side of the Weser estuary, on both banks of the Geest River at its junction with the Weser. It became a municipality by the amalgamation of three separate towns: Bremerhaven, founded (1827) as a port for Bremen by its burgomaster, Johann Smidt, on territory ceded by Hanover; Geestemunde, founded by Hanover in competition in 1845; and Lehe, a borough dating from medieval times that attained town status in 1920. The union of Lehe and Geestemunde in 1924 formed the town of Wesermunde, which in turn absorbed Bremerhaven in 1939, under Hanoverian jurisdiction. This unified city, restored to Bremen in 1947, was thereafter known by the name of Bremerhaven.
Learn more about Bremerhaven with a free trial on Britannica.com.