Stories We Like: Novels For Language Lovers
town, Trentino-Alto Adige region, northern Italy; it lies at the confluence of the Rienza (Rienz) and Isarco (Eisack) rivers, on the Brenner railway at an altitude of 1,834 ft (559 m), northeast of Bolzano. An episcopal see was transferred to Bressanone from Sabiona in 992. In the 11th century, Bressanone became the seat of an ecclesiastical principality that was in constant conflict with the counts of Tirol. Secularized in 1803, it passed to Austria as part of the Tirol and was ceded to Italy in 1918. The population is largely German speaking. Notable landmarks include the Baroque cathedral (rebuilt 1745-54), the Palazzo dei Principi Vescovi (Bishop's Palace; 13th century), 12 churches, including the round church of S. Michele (12th and 15th centuries), and 5 monasteries. Wool and hydroelectric power are produced, orchards and vineyards are cultivated, and there is a busy tourist trade. Pop. (2006 est.) mun., 19,504.