city, Orange county, southern California, U.S. The site known as Buena Plaza was originally part of the Rancho Los Coyotes. The city was laid out and named Buena Park in 1887 by James A. Whitaker, a Chicago grocer who, intending to build a cattle ranch, bought nearly 700 acres (280 hectares) there in the 1850s. Served by depots of the Santa Fe and Southern Pacific railroads, the city developed as a dairy centre, later becoming a residential community connected by freeway to Los Angeles 20 miles (30 km) to the northwest. Buena Park is a popular tourist destination, home to Knott's Berry Farm, an expansive amusement centre, and the Movieland Wax Museum. Food processing and the aircraft industry supplement Buena Park's economy. Inc. 1953. Pop. (1990) 68,784; (2000) 78,282.
Learn more about Buena Park with a free trial on Britannica.com.