Get our exclusive Word of the Day images!
town, in the provincia (province) and comunidad autonoma (autonomous community) of La Rioja, northern Spain, on the south bank of the Cidacos River near its confluence with the Ebro, southeast of Logrono city. Known as Calagurris to its original Celtiberian inhabitants, the town was famous for its four years' resistance to the Roman general Pompey (76-72 BC). The Romans later called it Calagurris Nassica to distinguish it from nearby Calagurris Fibularia. It was under Moorish control during the 9th and 10th centuries but was taken in 1054 by the Christian king of Navarre.