city, northern Kerala state, southern India. A port on the Arabian Sea, Cannanore carried on important trade with Persia and Arabia in the 12th and 13th centuries AD. Until the 18th century it was the capital of the raja of Kolattiri. Vasco da Gama visited Calicut in 1498, and a Portuguese fort was built in 1505. A fort was built there by the Dutch in 1656. The British captured Cannanore in 1783, after which the ruler became tributary to the British East India Company. Cannanore was the British military headquarters on India's west coast from 1709 to 1887.
Learn more about Cannanore with a free trial on Britannica.com.
|a calculus or concretion found in the stomach or intestines of certain animals, esp. ruminants, formerly reputed to be an effective remedy for poison.|
|an arrangement of five objects, as trees, in a square or rectangle, one at each corner and one in the middle.|