city, Cape Girardeau county, southeastern Missouri, U.S. It lies along the Mississippi River (there bridged to Illinois) at the southeast edge of the Ozark Plateau, 100 miles (160 km) south of St. Louis. Established before 1793 by the French Canadian Louis Lorimier, it was named for Jean Baptiste Girardot (or Girardeau), who had built a trading post (c. 1733) at nearby Cape Rock. Until its occupation by Union troops during the American Civil War, it was a bustling river port; abundant waterpower fueled flour mills and sawmills. A bitter struggle to obtain adequate rail service ended when Louis Houck, a lawyer and historian, organized the Gulf System (1902) and linked Cape Girardeau with the West (via St. Louis) and the Gulf of Mexico. The city's manufactures include paper products, clothing, storage systems, shoes, and automotive components. The city is the seat of Southeast Missouri State University (1873). Trail of Tears State Park, commemorating the forced migration of the Cherokee Indians to Oklahoma, is to the north. Inc. town, 1808; city, 1843. Pop. (2000) 35,349; (2005 est.) 36,204.
Learn more about Cape Girardeau with a free trial on Britannica.com.