town, Piemonte (Piedmont) region, northwestern Italy, on the Po River in the Monferrato Hills east of Turin. It was founded in the 8th century on the site of ancient Bodincomagus. In the 10th century the town belonged to the marquessate of Monferrato, becoming its capital in 1435. It passed to the Gonzaga family in 1536 and was long the subject of dispute between France and Spain. Its citadel (1590) changed hands frequently before being dismantled in 1695 and passing to Savoy in 1707. The seat of a bishopric, Casale Monferrato's notable landmarks include the cathedral of S. Evasio (1107); the 15th-century church of S. Domenico, with a Renaissance portal; the 17th-century castle; and many 18th-century palaces. Lime, cement, and artificial stone are produced, as are farm machinery, electrical appliances, and tartaric acid. Wine is exported. Pop. (2006 est.) mun., 35,758.
Learn more about Casale Monferrato with a free trial on Britannica.com.