[sen-ter-bawrd, -bohrd]
noun Nautical.
a pivoted fin keel that can be swung upward and aft within a watertight trunk when not in use.
Also called drop keel.
Compare daggerboard.

1840–50, Americanism; center + board Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2014.
Cite This Source Link To center-board
Copyright © 2014, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature