a cut that is made in wood or some other material, usually at a 45° angle to the adjacent principal faces. Compare bevel.
verb (used with object)
to make a chamfer on or in.

1595–1605; back formation from chamfering (taken as chamfer + -ing1) < Middle French chamfrein, variant of chanfreint beveled edge, orig. past participle of chanfraindre to bevel, equivalent to chant edge (< Latin canthus; see cant2) + fraindre to break < Latin frangere; see frangible

chamferer, noun
unchamfered, adjective Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2014.
Cite This Source Link To chamfered
World English Dictionary
chamfer (ˈtʃæmfə)
1.  Compare bevel a narrow flat surface at the corner of a beam, post, etc, esp one at an angle of 45°
2.  to cut such a surface on (a beam, etc)
3.  another word for chase
[C16: back formation from chamfering,from Old French chamfrein, from chant edge (see cant²) + fraindre to break, from Latin frangere]

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
Word Origin & History

1601, "small groove cut in wood or stone," from M.Fr. chanfraindre (Mod.Fr. chanfreiner), pp. of chanfraint, second element from L. frangere "to break;" perhaps the whole word is cantum frangere "to break the edge." Meaning "bevelled surface of a square edge or corner" is attested from c.1840, of uncertain
connection to the other sense.

c.1570, "channelled, fluted," from the verb form of chamfer (q.v.). Meaning "bevelled off" is from c.1790.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source
Related Words
Related Searches
Copyright © 2014, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature