It’s about time. We are now on Instagram!
city in northern Hunan sheng (province), China. Situated on the north bank of the Yuan River above its junction with the Dongting Lake system, Changde is a natural centre of the northwest Hunan plain. In historical times it was also a centre from which governments controlled the mountain tribes of western Hunan. A county named Linyuan was established there in the 2nd century BCE. In 589 its name was changed to Wuling, and under the Tang dynasty (618-907) it became the seat of Lang prefecture. Under the Song dynasty (960-1279) the name of the prefecture was changed to Tingzhou, and in 1164-74 it became a superior prefecture called Changde. This status was retained until 1912, when the superior prefecture was abolished and the city became a county seat