neighbourhood of the Federal District of Mexico, lying on the Rio Churubusco; it was formerly a southeastern suburb of Mexico City until its annexation in 1970. Known as Huitzilopocho by the Aztecs, it was a town of considerable importance before the Spanish conquest. It contains a massive stone convent built by the Franciscans in 1768 on the site of an Aztec temple. Mexican forces under Gen. A.L. de Santa Anna and U.S. forces under Gen. Winfield Scott fought at Churubusco on Aug. 20, 1847. The U.S. forces overcame the stubborn Mexican resistance after a bloody three-hour battle.
Learn more about Churubusco with a free trial on Britannica.com.