town, south-central Puerto Rico. It lies in the southern foothills of the Cordillera Central, on the Coamo River, southwest of San Juan. It was founded as a religious community in 1579, made a town in 1616, and given the title villa by Spanish royal decree in 1778. During the Spanish-American War (1898), it was the scene of a decisive battle. The town is an agricultural trading centre and manufactures coffee machinery, aircraft radio components, and sweaters. It has an 18th-century parish church, and sulfur springs are located nearby. The surrounding region is chiefly agricultural, with sugar and tobacco as its main products. Pop. (2000) 12,356.
Learn more about Coamo with a free trial on Britannica.com.