city, central El Salvador. It is located near Lake Ilopango on the Inter-American Highway (a section of the Pan-American Highway), at the northern foot of the Las Pavas Hills. Cojutepeque was a settlement for the Pipil Indians in pre-Columbian times. Founded in 1571, it was declared a town in 1787 and a city in 1846. The economy is based on agriculture and associated industries (sugar milling, liquor distilling, and cotton milling). On August 29, when Cojutepeque celebrates the feast day of St. John, thousands of people flock there to join the festivities and trade their wares. Pop. (2005 est.) urban area, 47,500
Learn more about Cojutepeque with a free trial on Britannica.com.