port city, southeastern Chubut provincia (province), southeastern Argentina, on the Gulf of San Jorge. It was founded in 1901 by Francisco Petrobelli, a businessman interested in establishing an Atlantic Ocean port to handle the products of Colonia Sarmiento, a farming centre 80 miles (130 km) west-northwest. The name honours Comodoro Martin Rivadavia (1852-1901) of the Argentine navy. The arid, windy plains of the hinterland supported only sheep prior to the discovery of petroleum near the port in 1907. A nationalized corporation administers the oil wells, which produce a large portion of Argentina's total output. Oil tankers, a national highway, airlines, and natural-gas lines link the city with La Plata and Buenos Aires, 1,000 miles (1,600 km) to the north. A major base of the Argentine Air Force is located there. Pop. (2001) 135,632.
Learn more about Comodoro Rivadavia with a free trial on Britannica.com.