city, seat (1888) of Volusia county, northeastern Florida, U.S. It is situated just east of the St. Johns River, about 25 miles (40 km) southwest of Daytona Beach. The area's original inhabitants, the Timucua Indians, were driven from the region by the Creek and British by the mid-18th century. In 1876 Henry Addison DeLand, a New York baking powder manufacturer, planted water oak trees at the site and founded a settlement. He established an academy there in 1883, which was financially assisted by John B. Stetson, a Philadelphia hat maker (it was renamed Stetson University in 1889). The community developed as a college town and centre of a citrus-growing region. Chinese horticulturist Lue Gim Gong developed new strains of orange and grapefruit there in the late 1800s.
Learn more about De Land with a free trial on Britannica.com.