Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.
town, North-West Frontier Province, Pakistan, just west of the Indus River. The town was named for Isma'il Khan, son of the 15th-century Baloch chief who founded it. The old town, 4 miles (6 km) east, was washed away by the Indus River in 1823. The new town, laid out by Durrani chiefs, was constituted a municipality in 1867. Dera Ismail Khan is an important transportation junction that is connected to Darya Khan (12 miles [19 km] east) by a bridge spanning the Indus. Lacquered woodwork, glasswork, mat and ivory work, and lungis (sarongs) are the chief hand-manufactured goods; industry includes textile, flour, oil, and rice mills and soap factories. Wheat, millet, gram, and sorghum are the major crops cultivated in the surrounding area, and camels and sheep are extensively bred. The region is the junction of the Pashtun and Baloch tribes. Dera Ismail Khan's facilities include a hospital, two parks, four main bazaars, and several colleges affiliated with the University of Peshawar. Gomal University was opened in the town in 1974. Pop. (1981) 68,145; (1998) 90,357.