city, Saxony-Anhalt Land (state), east-central Germany. It lies on the Mulde River at its confluence with the Elbe River, northeast of Halle. The German town, which developed from a Sorbian settlement, was first mentioned in 1213. From 1603 until 1918 it was the residence of the counts, princes, and dukes of Anhalt, and it remained the capital of Anhalt Land until 1945. In the 18th century the Anhalt line had a castle built in the Mosigkau district of the town in the southwest; it contains a museum of the Rococo period and a notable collection of paintings. Dessau was the seat of the Bauhaus architectural school under Walter Gropius from 1925 to 1933; the Bauhaus structures in the city were designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1996. Nearby is the Garden Kingdom of Dessau-Worlitz, which applies Enlightenment philosophical principles to landscape design; it was named a World Heritage site in 2000.
Learn more about Dessau with a free trial on Britannica.com.