town, east-central Ethiopia, located on the eastern edge of the East African Rift Valley, 30 miles (48 km) northwest of Harer. It lies at the intersection of roads from Addis Ababa, Harer, and Djibouti and has an airport. Dire Dawa, for long a caravan centre, developed as the chief outlet for Harer trade after 1904, when it became the terminus of the railroad from the port of Djibouti (since extended to Addis Ababa). The Dachatu River, whose bed can be crossed on foot during the dry season, divides the town into modern and old quarters. The former, built by the French, contains a Coptic church and a royal palace. Within the old quarter are a mosque and a large Muslim cemetery. Grain is imported from the highlands to the south because the dry fields around Dire Dawa (which means "empty plain") yield little to cultivation. The town has railway workshops, textile and cement factories, and coffee- and meat-canning plants and trades in coffee and hides. Most of its inhabitants are Oromo (Galla) or Somali people. Nearby are caves decorated with prehistoric paintings. Pop. (1987 est.) 107,287.
Learn more about Dire Dawa with a free trial on Britannica.com.