city, southern Ukraine, along the Dnieper River. Founded about 1750 as the Cossack settlement of Kamenskoye (Kamyanske), the town grew after 1889 with the developing metallurgical industry. The Soviets renamed it Dneprodzerzhinsk in 1936 to honour the former Soviet secret police chief Feliks Edmundovich Dzerzhinsky. In 1964 a dam and hydroelectric station were completed on the Dnieper just above the city. The city's industries have produced such goods as iron and steel, rolling stock, cement, coke, chemicals, and nitrate fertilizers. Most of the largest factories are in the central parts of the city, but there is also industrial and residential development to the south and southwest. There are a metallurgical institute and several technical schools. Pop. (2001) 255,841; (2005 est.) 249,530.
Learn more about Dneprodzerzhinsk with a free trial on Britannica.com.